Monday, January 12, 2009

Hello again I hope your all well. I am just writing because I guess I am excited about whats happening with Youri. Yesterday Youri and I went out for a hack with Jim and his three dogs and we had a good day. The wind was howling and believe it or not it was raining and here I was feeling pretty cool about being on my horse. I realised I had worked so hard and pushed Youri to the limits to get to the Paralympics, and while we did everything to ensure Youris physical fitness for the job I never dealt with (or took notice of) what was going on between his ears, if truth be told, I didn't know how. I used to spend hours sitting in my buggy in a field at Kevins place with Youri without knowing how to interact with him and I got pretty tired of nothing happening and it felt like he didn't know me at all and so I stopped spending time and just concentrated on working him. After the Paralypmics I wanted to sell him because I just kept getting frustrated and pissed off with him and I hated feeling that way. I don't believe he's a bad horse, he has plenty of character and is a cheeky little you know what at the best of times but sometimes, well actually a lot of times, it felt like he was a lost soul and just didn't know how to be. Youri has been with Jim probably two months now and Jim has opened up a new world (a world I only dreamt of) for us. Jim is teaching me (slowly cause I am a slow learner!!!) and Youri how to communicate, how to manage on the ground, how to know when Youri is happy and relaxed and soft and how take control of his feet rather than the other way round! I think it will take time but I also believe I owe my little man for giving me the best experience of my life in Hong Kong and for teaching me how to ride. The pictures below show Jim working with Youri and getting me involved in the learning process.

No comments: